Tuesday 14 May 2013

Team Jolie


A bit of a different post today but I wanted to use my small internet platform to pay tribute to the fantastic thing that Angelina Jolie did today. I'm not really much of a fan (I was always Team Aniston!) but I admire her greatly for coming out and opening up about something incredibly private in order to help others.

In some ways her decision to have a double mastectomy seems so obvious. Prior to the surgery she had an 87% chance of developing breast cancer. Now, following her surgery her chance of contracting that awful disease is under 5%. She has 6 kids - she had to increase her chances of being around to see them.

However, I don't doubt that regardless of the health benefits this was a long and thought-out decision.

I've been very lucky not to be affected by the Big C but I like to think that if something like this happened to me I would make the same decisions. Cut off the boobs, cut off the leg - do whatever it takes to make sure that I am still here to see my son grow up. I pray that I am never ill and never have to face these decisions but if I do then people who have spoken out about their health struggles will be my inspiration.

I'm looking forward to awards season next year. I want to see Angelina Jolie back out there with the bright red lipstick, skirt slit to the thigh and some mega cleavage - proving that no matter what surgery you have you can still be gorgeous.

To anyone who is battling Cancer at this time - stay strong and keep fighting x

No comments:

Post a Comment